Skip to main content

Do Your Own Thang

This month marks two years since I've moved to New York. From the beginning, I have lived with a model named Madlena Kalinova. She has helped me out immensely, giving me advice and recommendations about anything and everything.


Originally I wanted to interview Madlena to show what the typical modeling lifestyle is, but after reading her answers I realized that there is no one way to be fit. Since both of us are models, we are required to be healthy and fit. The focus of this post is to show that there is not one way to be healthy.I decided to do a little bit of a comparison because even though we are similar in a lot of ways, we live our lives differently.  I interviewed Madlena about her modeling career, favorite foods, fitness regimens and beauty tips and then I answered the same questions. Here were her answers:

How long have you been modeling?

I got into modeling 15 years ago.

How did you first get into modeling?

I was discovered shopping with my mom on a local street market in my hometown.


If you didn't get into modeling, what do you think you would you be doing now?

When I was younger, I wanted to study law and would probably have been a lawyer if I didn't become a model.


What is your favorite part about modeling?

My favorite part about modeling is the flexibility of my schedule and the amount of money you can make per day shooting. Also, you get to know yourself and the world around you so well.


What is your definition of fitness?

Fitness is a way of life and very important part for me.


What do you eat on an average day?

I am following the Paleo diet and rarely have carbs. I tried being vegan but for now I think paleo works best for me. I have lots of kale salads with a protein, either chicken, turkey or fish. I don't eat red meat and have something sweet after one of my meals like a block of dark chocolate with coconut. I don't have a lot of dairy. After my workouts, I make sure to have a protein shake with almond milk to make sure I get all of the benefits.


What are your guidelines to eating out at a restaurant?

My guidelines are simple and straightforward: keep it healthy and skip dessert.


What is your favorite cheat meal?

When I cheat, I cheat with dessert. I don't have a favorite cheat meal since I love my diet but I think it would definitely be dessert.


What is your favorite healthy restaurant?

My top restaurants are Cafe Clover and Digg In. They have really good variety and everything is incredibly fresh!

What is your go-to beauty product?

My go-to beauty products are my Nivea lip balm, my eyelash curler and a good exfoliator or peel. You can never over-pamper yourself.



Here are my answers:

How long have your been modeling?

I started modeling about six years ago but I have only been doing it full-time for about two years.

How did you first get into modeling?


I was approached by my current manager in the Orlando Airport after a family vacation. We still joke about the bright pink florescent shirt he was wearing. He was on our flight and we saw him all throughout the airport that day as well as that night when we got back home. A couple months later we had dinner at my house and soon after, I signed a contract with him. 

If you didn't get into modeling what would you be doing now?


If I wasn't going into modeling I would probably be going to school full time. I had no clue what I wanted to do before modeling came into my life but I don't think I would have ended up in NYC without it. 

What is your favorite part about modeling?


I have two favorite parts about modeling. The first is seeing myself in a magazine or online months after doing a job. Seeing the work I have done come into fruition makes me smile. Second, I love seeing the people I am working with happy with how their creations look on me. Whether it's hair, makeup or clothing, it always makes me happy when they are happy. 

What is your definition of fitness?


I would define fitness as a feeling. The feeling of being completely comfortable with the mental and emotional aspects of day-to-day life, as well as being able to do physically demanding activities. I actually added to a Wikipedia page for the first time in my life in the fitness section. The link to the page is here

What do you eat on an average day?


What I eat everyday changes. I tend to snack A LOT. I usually have a protein shake in the morning after I workout. After that, I'll snack on some almonds or a cheese stick. Around lunchtime I have a chicken sausage (that I always ask my parents to send to me from home because I can only find them in Giant grocery stores by my house) paired with some vegetable, typically spinach. Then I'll have another snack around 3pm. I've been having fun trying some snack packs. Around dinner time, I'll have a turkey burger or protein bar with vegetables, it just depends on my schedule and how much I snack during the day. I try not to eat after 6pm, but if I have an evening workout I tend to get hungry  later on, so I'll have some carrots or another cheese stick. I also make sure to drink lots of water during the day. It helps me to make sure I stay full and it's also great for your skin. 
Here are some of my must-haves:

  • Weight Watchers String Cheese
  • Applewood Farms Turkey Burgers
  • Whole Foods Raw Almonds (although any raw almonds will work) 
  • Baby Carrots (they are just easier to keep your portions low)
  • Premier Protein Shake (I generally have the chocolate ones but I have tried the vanilla and strawberry and I like them both as well)
  • Pure Protein Bars
  • Nature's Promise Chicken Sausage
  • Kraft Snack Trios
  • Sargento Balanced Breaks



What are your guidelines to eating out at a restaurant?


GRILLED CHICKEN! You can't really go wrong with grilled chicken in a salad or with a side of veggies. If you aren't a fan of grilled chicken just be aware of additional sauces as well as how the meal is cooked. You will want to try to avoid any heavy creams or fried foods.

What is your favorite cheat meal?


I unfortunately (or fortunately) have a sweet tooth and a love of savory things. So my cheat meal varies. However, I am still a snacker at heart, so it is usually something like a bag of potato chips or a KitKat bar. If I had to choose an actual meal, it'd be a turkey sandwich from Potbelly.

What is your favorite healthy restaurant?


I have a list saved in my phone:

  1. Dig Inn
  2. Bareburger (not 100% healthy but healthy for a burger place)
  3. By Chloe.
  4. Dimes
  5. Hu Kitchen


What is your go to beauty product?


I love my Neutrogena waterproof mascara. It's something that I put on almost every morning and whether it is a good day or a rough one, I know it won't run on me. Mascara is also just a great way to add a little natural-looking pop to your eyes and it's extremely easy to apply.

This post is just to show all of you that there is no one way to be healthy. We all want to be our best selves and we can take suggestions and pointers from others, but in the end, we all have to be aware of our own bodies and find what works best for ourselves. Every body reacts differently to various diets, workouts, etc., so take notes of what you do and how you feel each time that you try a new way of doing something. On one day of the week record what you are trying to measure. Whether that be your weight, measurements, or just how you feel overall. It's important to follow your progress, but most importantly, to check in with your body. After taking those notes and measurements, evaluate not just what you see on the paper, but also how it makes you feel. The fitness journey isn't about sacrificing your happiness to lose a few pounds, but to find a balanced and healthy lifestyle that makes you happy. That's how you find what works best for you. That process is how you start your journey on becoming the best version of yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why is Charcoal in Everything?

It’s in your toothpaste, your facemask, even in your soap! What is the big deal about Charcoal? Back in 2015 was when we first started hearing about the powers of charcoal. Since then it has spread from beauty products to our household items to our food. Everywhere we look there seems to be a hue of grey. If you’re like me, you might have gotten caught up in the trend without intending to and now somehow you have been partaking in some benefits that you have no idea what they are. I’m here to inform you how charcoal can help you in the many different forms of products we see it in today. We’ll start at the very beginning, the birth of the charcoal trend, the toothpaste. It was hard to go on social media without seeing someone with seriously black teeth that somehow turned their teeth whiter. How does it work? According to Trust Dental Care these toothpastes are made from a form of charcoal called Activated Charcoal. Activated Charcoal has natural adhesive qualities

Gotham Gym in Gotham City

Photo taken after one of my first sessions at Gotham with Rob Gotham is my NYC workout favorite, not only because they are welcoming and friendly, but they can also kick your butt! Known for its work with supermodels such as Gigi Hadid or Sara Sampaio, Gotham Gym is a quickly expanding boxing gym that is great for anyone. I started going to Gotham about four years ago when I lived in the city for a summer. I was here for modeling and my agency set up a session with the gym’s owner, Rob. Let me just say, they take their motto, “Train like a fighter” very seriously!  I have been an athlete all my life, from field hockey to swim team, and this workout was hard! Rob pushed me to my limit in a firm but friendly way. The workout was a mixture of boxing and toning exercises that left me sore the next day.  More recent workout at Gotham with Mike Castilo Today, Gotham has group classes that you can sign up for through ClassPass or MindBody apps and they offer personal tra

Some of My (Least) Favorite Things

Since I have talked about Gotham Gym so much, I partnered up with my trainer Mike and asked him to help me out with a few posts! One is an interview with him about some of his best workout tips and the other (this one!) is a look into one of our workouts! So here we go: As a warm-up, I will just for three minutes on the treadmill at a 6.0 mph speed. Next, I will do three minutes on a machine called the Versa Climber. If you, or your gym does not have one a good equivalent could be doing mountain climbers for three minutes. Up next, is a round of boxing! This is my favorite part of the workout. Not only do I feel like I'm kicking butt, I also am working up a sweat. A round of boxing is about three minutes (I'm sure you're sensing a theme by now) and we do a round intermittently throughout the hour.  Next we move on to abs: If you are thinking, "I don't have a wheel or a bungie cord at my house! How am I supposed to so this?" Have no fear! There are