Skip to main content

Some of My (Least) Favorite Things

Since I have talked about Gotham Gym so much, I partnered up with my trainer Mike and asked him to help me out with a few posts! One is an interview with him about some of his best workout tips and the other (this one!) is a look into one of our workouts! So here we go:


As a warm-up, I will just for three minutes on the treadmill at a 6.0 mph speed. Next, I will do three minutes on a machine called the Versa Climber. If you, or your gym does not have one a good equivalent could be doing mountain climbers for three minutes. Up next, is a round of boxing!


This is my favorite part of the workout. Not only do I feel like I'm kicking butt, I also am working up a sweat. A round of boxing is about three minutes (I'm sure you're sensing a theme by now) and we do a round intermittently throughout the hour.  Next we move on to abs:


If you are thinking, "I don't have a wheel or a bungie cord at my house! How am I supposed to so this?" Have no fear! There are many different ways you can work your abs with this movement, without these tools. If your have a wheel but no bungie, you can use a resistance band. If you don't have a resistance band you can do it without one, however this makes the exercise much more difficult. If you have something called an Ab Coaster you can use that.  If all you have is a wood floor and a dish towel that's perfectly fine! Get down on your knees like you are going to do a modified pushup. Then, push yourself forward while keeping your body in a plank position. Try your best to be slow and controlled on the way out and back in. If you are doing this on a dish towel while on a  wooden surface I suggest you do this on your elbows so you don't over stress your shoulders.


Many gyms have a machine that is for this exercise. They usually look like a very high arm chair that the seat fell out of. However, if you find a safe place to do this that does not have a back to it, you will get more of an ab workout. I do 12 reps straight leg, 10 reps bent knee. You can also do this like a Russian Twist, meaning crunch your legs from side to side. At one point in the video, I stop myself from swinging. You want to do your best not to swing. If you are swinging the movement will be coming from momentum rather than your ab muscles.



Almost everybody knows the classic plank and side plank, but to take it to the next level Mike puts a weighted sandbag on my back and sides. I do each position for 30 seconds, and make sure you remember do both the right and left side plank. Keep your butt and abs tight!


This exercise is called a bridge. You can do this many different ways. You can keep only one foot on the ground as I am doing here. Push your hips up for three seconds and then slowly let yourself down. You can do this with or without ankle weights. You can also keep both feet on the ground and just push your hips up and squeeze your glutes. I do 10-12 reps on each leg as you see in the video above.

If you are planning to follow this post for a workout routine, I would suggest doing it in sets. This means start out with the warm-up I described, then follow it with the individual exercises. After you finish one round of exercises, do another round of boxing followed by a second round of individual exercises. I would do this about three times through and it should be a good hour-long workout!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why is Charcoal in Everything?

It’s in your toothpaste, your facemask, even in your soap! What is the big deal about Charcoal? Back in 2015 was when we first started hearing about the powers of charcoal. Since then it has spread from beauty products to our household items to our food. Everywhere we look there seems to be a hue of grey. If you’re like me, you might have gotten caught up in the trend without intending to and now somehow you have been partaking in some benefits that you have no idea what they are. I’m here to inform you how charcoal can help you in the many different forms of products we see it in today. We’ll start at the very beginning, the birth of the charcoal trend, the toothpaste. It was hard to go on social media without seeing someone with seriously black teeth that somehow turned their teeth whiter. How does it work? According to Trust Dental Care these toothpastes are made from a form of charcoal called Activated Charcoal. Activated Charcoal has natural adhesive qualities

Jumpin' Jumpin'

This was honestly one of the hardest workouts I have ever done. Aerospace's areojump class is one that is hard to beat. It was (almost) a full class of jump roping (the silent killer of cardio) coupled with a few toning exercises.  Aerospace is know for training many of the Victoria's Secret models including Adriana Lima. Located in the heart of Chelsea, it is easy to get to from almost anywhere in Manhattan. They offer eight different classes along with a "Training Camp". Their classes include ThinkFast, AeroBox, Aero3, AeroBarre, AeroJump (the one I took), AreoImpact, AeroPower and AeroFly. Aerospace's website descrbes it's training camp as,"Every muscle in the body battles against gravity in this ultimate fitness class designed to enhance endurance, speed, stamina, power, coordination, recall, tone and muscle strength." Sounds like my next Aerospace workout will be taking this training camp challenge!

Gotham Gym in Gotham City

Photo taken after one of my first sessions at Gotham with Rob Gotham is my NYC workout favorite, not only because they are welcoming and friendly, but they can also kick your butt! Known for its work with supermodels such as Gigi Hadid or Sara Sampaio, Gotham Gym is a quickly expanding boxing gym that is great for anyone. I started going to Gotham about four years ago when I lived in the city for a summer. I was here for modeling and my agency set up a session with the gym’s owner, Rob. Let me just say, they take their motto, “Train like a fighter” very seriously!  I have been an athlete all my life, from field hockey to swim team, and this workout was hard! Rob pushed me to my limit in a firm but friendly way. The workout was a mixture of boxing and toning exercises that left me sore the next day.  More recent workout at Gotham with Mike Castilo Today, Gotham has group classes that you can sign up for through ClassPass or MindBody apps and they offer personal tra